JHU to Hold Emergency Preparedness Fair
In an effort to ensure the community is safe in the event of an emergency, the Johns Hopkins University Montgomery County Campus, National Cancer Institute, and other local and federal agencies are working together to bring the third annual Emergency Preparedness Fair to the Rockville campus.
The Emergency Preparedness Fair is scheduled for 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20, in the JHU parking lot at the corner of Key West Avenue and Broschart Road. (The rain date is Sept. 27). The event coincides with the Shady Grove Farmers Market, also held on campus.
The fair is being held during National Preparedness Month, which is sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Ready campaign. It is a nationwide effort to encourage families, businesses and communities to work together to prepare for emergencies at home, work, businesses, schools and places of worship.
This year’s theme is “Disasters Don’t Plan Ahead. You Can.” The initiative will emphasize that everyone can help first responders by learning how to assist in an emergency before trained personnel arrive.
Each week of National Preparedness Month has a different focus: Make a Plan for Yourself, Family and Friends; Plan to Help Your Neighbor and Community; Practice and Build Out Your Plans; and Get Involved! Be a Part of Something Larger.
Participants at the fair include:
* American Red Cross
* Disaster Aid USA
* Gaithersburg Police Department
* Johns Hopkins University Montgomery County Campus
* Maryland Emergency Management Agency
* Maryland Insurance Administration
* Maryland Responds
* Maryland Transportation Authority
* Montgomery County Auxilary Communication Services
* Montgomery County Commuter Services
* Montgomery County Fire and Rescue
* Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security
* National Cancer Institute Emergency Management and Physical Security Branch
* National Cancer Institute Emergency Response Team
* National Institutes of Health Blood Bank
* National Institutes of Health Civil Program
* National Institutes of Health Division of Emergency Management
* National Institutes of Health Division of Police
* National Institutes of Health Radio Club
* Rockville Police Department
* Suburban Hospital
* Washington Gas
At the fair, the National Cancer Institute will discuss its volunteer emergency response team. The NCI also will bring disaster bags, kits, handouts and displays to teach attendees how to prepare emergency bags for schools, homes, cars and public transportation.
The Rockville Police Department will have a similar table displaying all of the essentials needed for a “go bag,” so attendees can learn what they should have on hand to sustain themselves for several days in the event of an emergency.
JHU and other organizations will hand out supplies that could be helpful in preparing an emergency kit.
CATEGORY: In The Community